Celebrating National Family Health and Fitness Day for Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease
End-stage renal disease affects 10% of the global population. Along with treatment plans, dialysis, and therapy recommendations, exercise can be a beneficial additive to any patient’s routine. Remaining active when living with kidney disease can help balance emotional distress and maintain some normalcy in daily life.
In the United States, the last Saturday of September is Family Health and Fitness Day. This is a day aiming to promote physical activity as part of a healthy lifestyle for families nationwide.
This year, you can join the celebrations on September 26. For patients with end-stage renal disease, family support can go a long way. This is a great day to gather friends and family and encourage everyone to keep up a healthy lifestyle. Here are some easy activities the whole family can partake in:
- Jogging is an easy activity that can be done by all members of the family. It’s also a great aerobic exercise for patients with end-stage renal disease. Jogging helps build strength and keeps the body moving without exerting too much effort.
- You can up the fun factor by visiting a local park or zoo to get extra steps in that day. For those who prefer to stick closer to home, try taking a walk in your neighborhood.
- If your family loves the outdoors, bicycling is a great activity to do on Family Health and Fitness Day. You can choose an easy trail in your area or visit your local park. The important part is to get those muscles moving while getting some fresh air and enjoying the beautiful scenery.
- If you are family who loves to go to the gym, you can take this day to work out together. Both at home or in a gym, strength training is a great way to help ESRD patients increase their energy and get back on their feet.
- Low-intensity bodyweight training can be a fun way to build strength and spend time together.
- You can plan your workout around simple routines like leg lifts and seated rows that are easy enough for the patient but still enjoyable for the rest of your family.
- Family Health and Fitness Day is the perfect time to get out there and play a sport that everyone loves. Depending on the capability of the patient, you can plan sports activities like touch football, basketball, badminton, or baseball.
- Another fun way to celebrate the day is by planning a field at a local park. The team effort sports require is a positive way to make an ESRD patient feel love and support from family and friends.
Family Health and Fitness Day is a chance to promote a healthier lifestyle for families across the United States. This cause continues to grow, and during a pandemic, physical and mental health is more important than ever.
Interested in learning about how clinical research for end-stage renal diseases works? Click here to visit our homepage and read about our mission and goals at NICR.
The National Institute of Clinical Research is an SMO/CRO with offices and labs in the following cities and states: New Jersey, North Carolina, Austin, San Diego, San Francisco, Bakersfield 93309, Fountain Valley 92708, Garden Grove 92840, Hacienda Heights 91745, Huntington Beach 92648, Las Vegas 89106, Long Beach 90806, Los Angeles 90048, Ontario 91762, Rosemead 91770, San Antonio 78207, Santa Ana 92704, Upland 91786, and Westminster 92683.